Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Good grief

It's Valentine's Day...again, and the world is overrun with helium, long stems and cheap champagne. Shoot, even I donned my Victoria's Secret Pink undergarb today. Why? Because it's the only time of year it seems appropriate.

Actually, I have a feeling I'll be home watching Charlie Brown's Valentine's Special tonight, hoping he finally gets the little red-headed girl. Maybe Lucy's 5 cent advice will finally pan out...or not.

Man I love to root for old CB but the darned ABCTV website has already ruined it for me:
In this special, Charlie Brown finally works up the courage to call the little red-haired girl to ask her to the Valentine's Day dance. But once again he ends up broken-hearted and empty-handed when he dials the wrong number and reaches Peppermint Patty instead.
They need to update this timeless tale because if old gourd-head had a cell phone there is no way he would misdial and be stuck with a lesbian on Valentine's Day.

In case you have plans, or intend to hunker down with some ice cream and Simon Cowell for the night, here is a great review of the cartoon. Some of my favorite quotes:
More than 50 years on, Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang are more miserable than ever.

In Valentine, as in Peanuts' classic Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Halloween outings, the kids approach the holiday with skepticism. Unrequited love abounds: Sally loves Linus, her "Sweet Baboo" who only has eyes for his security blanket; Lucy digs Schroeder, fervently devoted to his baby grand; Peppermint Patty and her four-eyed peon Marcie both pine for Charlie Brown , still head over heels for the Pretty Little Redhead.

Alone together, the masochistic crew is united by a shared inability to act on their desires. "I'd like to buy a box of candy for a girl who doesn't know I exist, please," Charlie Brown asks a store clerk (unseen, unintelligible, and uninvolved, like all Peanuts grownups). With the Valentine's Day Dance and card exchange looming, Charlie plummets into an existential crisis, and not even Lucy's five-cent "Psychiatric Help" can cure his "deep-down-black-bottom-of-the-well-no-hope-end-of-the-world-what's-the-use loneliness." When the girls ask Snoopy to ghostwrite love poems for their crushes, they reject his sarcastic verses ("Your eyes are like two supper dishes"). Nobody gets who they want when the dance rolls around, except for party crasher Snoopy, who effortlessly cuts a rug with the Pretty Little Redhead.
Funny how timeless the tale really is...

One more thing for someone special on this sacred commercial day:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For that one more thing,...when and where?

;-)

L

Anonymous said...

Save your strenth, bucko.

PlaysByEar said...

Bite me! Why am I digging deeper into the blogosphere! Now that I've found another 33-year old former Navy scorpio hasher lawyer maybe I can stop? Okay IANAL but I do work with legal documents. I guess I better move on.