Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Speaking of lawyers and court...

I went to a continuing education seminar at the courthouse on Saturday. It was an all-day affair wherein about 50 lawyers sat in the jury room listening to various lectures on ethics, bias, and other legal mumbo jumbo. We are required to do it or, gasp, do pro bono (free) work for poor people. And you know lawyers don't do anything for free.

Anyhow, I was in the lecture and noticed that the defense lawyer from my recent jury service experience was one of the lecturers. He recognized me immediately so I went up to say hello. In our brief conversation, he said, "I wish I'd have kept you as a juror. Especially after I read your blog".

Huh? What? He read my blog?!?!?! I was a bit shocked that he had read my blog and that it would encourage anyone to select me for anything other than immediate residenciy in an insane asylum. When I asked how he got my blog he said, "Oh, the judge gave it to me." I thought he meant the judge I did an internship with (aka my crush. He said, no, not him, rather Judge C - the judge for the case on which I was in the jury pool.

This shocked the heck out of me because I knew neither the judge nor the defense attorney. Then I remembered that a local lawyer who has a real lawyer blog had linked to my blog about jury service. Then I got a little paranoid and thought, 'Shiite, I wonder how many judges know about the blog, and that it's mine.' Then I thought about some of the stuff I've put on here that the more conservative set might find offensive or outrageous. Then I considered deleting the blog to erase all evidence. Then I thought I should get more serious on the blog and write lawyer stuff and contribute something to society to redeem myself for all the antics I've participated in. Then I thought, 'Hell no, I won't cowtow to conformity and self-censorship.' Finally I remembered that judges have seen and heard it all and we lawyers are here for their entertainment anyhow.

So read on Honorable Ones, read on.

7 comments:

MB said...

Wow, all those comments from all those readers are just flooding your box.

Glib Gal said...

Yes, MB, it's almost as dead as your blog these days.

MB said...

Almost. Apparently BH is quite the rage right now. She's stolen our spotlight dammit!! (O.K., not that I really had one anyway, but still)

Buzz said...

Nice...

Glad you're refusing to cowtow to the Man.

Got your message, check your hotmail... Thanks again

Buzz

BH said...

Hey, the sun even shines on a dog's ass once in a while.

BH said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Glad you decided not to make your blog disappear. Kowtowing isn't all it's cracked up to be...better to be yourself.