Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Modern Day Anthropology

Have you ever been in a situation in which you are with a friend and other people join the conversation, and your friend says some totally inappropriate and blatantly culturally insensitive remark like, "I thought all Mexicans were named Juan", or "Why can't you straighten your hair?" or "Don't all YOUR people do that?" or even better, "I'm not racist, I have a black friend."

The first reaction I have is to grasp wildly in the air trying to catch the words before they make it from my friend's mouth to the ears of the listener. I never quite recapture them so I end up turning beet red, embarassed for my friend, who happens to be completely oblivious to the fact that he or she has just offended someone. This is followed by a moment of awkward silence, daggers from the eyes of the politically correct police, and wide-eyed looks of 'are you serious?' And then someone changes the subject before the offender knows how stupid they are and the cycle is set to begin again. Later, people ask me what was wrong with my friend. I usually answer that she's led a sheltered life or is socially stunted.

So today I nearly fell out of my chair when I found the site Black People Love Us. It is a brilliant look at the hypocrisy and subtle racism/extreme ignorance that plagues our "melting pot" these days.

To think that people actually think Black People Love Us is a real site designed by a racist couple astonishes me. Check the letters section of the site to see just how offended some folks are. Hilarious. It just goes to show how ignorant people on both sides of the fence are. Kudos to the creators for causing such a ruckus.

No comments: