Thursday, September 22, 2005

The Glacier Experience You've All Been Waiting For...

Wow! That's a tough title to live up to so I won't even try. At least it will get my readership up, though.

So Thursday the Outdoorspro and I packed up our cold weather gear and caught a helicopter ride up to the base on Mendenhall glacier. This is the camp where the guides hide when the weather gets bad on the glacier:
Upon arrival we decided to put the champagne on ice:
Once the booze was taken care of, we donned our gear and headed out to explore the glacier before sunset. Here's a pic I snapped of the Outdoorspro scouting for a path to the other side of the glacier, where some cool glacier peaks were waiting to be climbed:

On our way back from scouting we found a really awesome ice cave that had recently opened up and had a raging river underneath. According to the Outdoorspro, slipping down the cave would result in certain death. That's why I just went in a little bit to look down and get a pic: Notice how I color-coordinated my jacket to match the ice? I thought that was a nice touch too...

For some reason I am not being allowed to add more pictures to this post so I'm going to have to break off and start part 2 of the great Alaskan Glacier Adventure...

No comments: