Thursday, September 15, 2005

On The Rocks

Spent all day yesterday aboard the Adventure Bound cruising up the Tracy Arm Fjord to the South Sawyer Glacier. Here's the dead end we hit at the end of the fjord:

It's pretty humbling to be on a 40 foot boat sitting in front of a glacier listening to nature in action as the glacier groans under its own pressure. If you sit there long enough you get to see it calve - or lose big chunks of itself into the water. I still don't know why it's called calving. Should be called chunking, or berging, but calving? Anyhow, these chunks then float out toward the channel as icebergs, like this cool one:


Spending 12 hours on a boat amidst this sort of beauty can make a girl think, which is rarely a good thing. You know what I thought about? How much it sucked being on that boat alone and without someone to turn to and point out the obvious. Instead, I spent the day as the token adventurous single gal on the boat with the great stories, who had been to every state of every passenger on board, spoke the languages of the foreigners, and took pictures of the couples as they stood side-by-side in front of a glacier or waterfall. Who wouldn't be reflective with sights like this?
After talking with the Outdoorspro last night, I realized that people have some wild idea of me and tend to build me into some glamorous and carefree ideal that will somehow save them from their own seemingly mudane existence. Let's face it, if I could do that, I'd be a zillionaire and wouldn't be blogging.

As for those of you awaiting the glacier report: you're better off going to your freezer, grabbing a couple of ice cubes, and finding a way to amuse yourself at the thought of what could be happening to a girl you've never met on a glacier you'll probably never visit, because I'm not talking...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, she did it.

MB said...

ohhhhhhh....

Jealousy and hatred are consuming me at this very moment as I sit in my little cubicle staring at my co-workers....

Looks like fun.

Anonymous said...

SHE HAD AND OUTDOORPRO POPSICLE

Daniel Heath said...

look at it this way--you were alone on the boat, whereas the rest of them spent the entire trip in conjugal panic as to whether or not this trip was -enough- fun to save their marriage.

see, there's no helping making up stories about strangers when you're bored, so you may as well make up the right ones.

plus they probably all had arctic burrowing wasps in their bunks that night. those things are attracted to couples, let me tell you.