Wednesday, November 08, 2006

An aging Fanilow

Yep, I hit the big three-four today.

Somehow the past 33 birthdays haven't made me think twice about anything. Then again, by now you can probably tell I haven't spent much time thinking twice about a lot of things.

This one's different, though. Could be that I'm growing up and made all these big changes this past year: moving, starting a new business, ending a long romance. Could be that all my new friends here are more settled than me - with kids and husbands and a totally different lifestyle. Could just be that there's a full moon. All I know is that it feels different. More introspective or something. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

No plans for the big day. Come on, I'm single in Tehachapi and it's a Wednesday night. Oh, and I'm not saying it's a special tribute or anything, but I just don't think it's merely a coincidence that Barry Manilow decided to open his Vegas show on this sacred day. Thanks Barry, I certainly can't smile without you either.

Speaking of Barry, I found an interesting article on how he's doing to helping fight crime in New Zealand. Here's a description of the "Manilow Method" of dealing with hooligans:
Boy racers and rowdy teenagers involved in disorderly behaviour in Nelson may soon be confronted with a cutting edge crime tool: American crooner Barry Manilow.

Nelson police and the city council are thinking about using the "Manilow method" to disperse the unsocial groups from the inner-city Buxton Square carpark, The Nelson Mail reported today.

The method involves playing Manilow and other easy-listening tunes through speakers in central city public spaces to discourage young people from loitering.

The approach has been employed by police in England and Australia, and could soon be in Whangarei and Nelson.
I see a Nobel Peace Prize in his future...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, well HAPPY BIRTHDAY GLIB! Welcome to the mid-thirties! There's more potholes along the way

Buzz said...

Happy Birthday Ms. gibberish!! Here's to many more...

Dig the pics of Annie too, she looks like a great dog for you. How does Riley get along with her?

Anonymous said...

Happy B-day Glib, don't tear up the big city for your birthday. Hopefully we can cause some trouble this weekend. The big birthday weekend, for us thirty somethings.

Muncher

Anonymous said...

Happy B-day, Glib Gal! Bottoms up to another 33 years.

All the best,
Jenn's Hubby

Anonymous said...

Happy B-day, Glib Gal! Bottoms up to another 33 years.

All the best,
Jenn's Hubby

MB said...

What they said....