Friday, November 24, 2006

MySpace and the over-30 non-predator

A couple of months ago my good friend SC decided Santa Barbara wasn't exciting enough for her and came to the megalopolis of Tehachapi for a wild night out. Yes, she has issues but that's another story...

We did the usual...Girl talk over the best margaritas in town (Domingo's), followed by a jaywalk/run across Hwy 202, a scramble down a wall, and across the parking lot to McGuire's Pub for some pool and drinks.

As always happens when SC and I go out, we met some boys. They were cute and young (26 and 27 I think). We all got to conversing and playing doubles and somehow the topic of MySpace came up. I was shocked that SC would have a MySpace page, especially at her age (41). Both the boys we were playing pool with had them too. I, Glib Gal, not-so-famous blogger, was the only person without a MySpace page. They all had a good time making fun of me for it. I honestly thought it was only for teens and sexual predators posing as teens in hope of landing a spot on Dateline. SC claimed it was a good way to keep up with her kids (two teenagers) and find old friends from high school. Intrigued, I looked it up.

I checked around and learned that several of my friends have these pages. Never one to be left behind or mocked for not having a teeny-bopperesque website, I created a page. Don't worry, you won't find it unless you know my true identity. Yes, kind of like Batman...

Don't worry, this story is going somewhere. Really, it is.

So last week I get this e-mail from a friend from the local writer's group:
Hi someone saw your myspace page and wants to meet you. He works with K (writer's group) here is his name and number CW 8**-****, I told her to tell him your a bit busy but he'd really like to hear from you.
Mind you, I have no idea who this CW is, or how he found my MySpace page, or why he didn't e-mail me through the MySpace message service.

Of course, I called K to get the scoop. She said she was at work and was talking to another co-worker, M, about me - trying to set us up or something (no, I did not know she was pimping me out). As she was talking about me this other guy she works with, CW, popped his head up from his cubicle and joined in the conversation. He then rattled off some stuff about me as if he knew me, admitted to knowing about my MySpace page, and decided that if anyone in the office was going to be set up with me, it should be him. In true pimp-like fashion, K took his number and gave it to someone to e-mail to me.

At first I was pretty shocked and found it quite odd that someone had been lurking on my MySpace page. Then I wondered why he wouldn't just e-mail me through the service. Then K said she thought it was kismit or some cosmic thing that his number would find his way to me through her trying to set my up with someone else.

So now I don't know what to think...I looked him up on MySpace and he has a very blank page. He's 44 and an engineer. K says he's attractive and fit (rides his bike to work during summer) but shy and keeps to himself. I don't know whether to call him or not. Can't decide if it's weird or just how things work these days? And it's a holiday weekend and I'm bored. And we all know where boredom leads me - straight into blogworthy material!

Any thoughts? Oh, and if you know my real name and have a page, shoot me a message and let's be friends.

Oh, and I hope your turkey day was nice or at least better than the most bizarre Thanksgiving ever.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

An engineer?!? Is he Catholic?

Buzz said...

I thought you were done with engineers?

The one engineer that I did meet while living at the Chateau (one saturday after returning from snowboarding, I was cooking in the kitchen and had tried to infuse wine in my sauteed mushrooms, which only made them purple, who says I have a crappy memory?) seemed kind of normal on the outside but I could tell that he was just chock full of social discrepancies.

Why put yourself through that again? It's a warning flag that he's too chickenshit if he can't even send you a message on your myspace. No doubt he's brilliant but why can't he "cowboy up" and send you a sentence or two?

buzz

MB said...

I'm with Buzz.....Jesus Christ he is 45 years old? What's next? Maybe he'll pass you a note on your first date asking you if you want to go with him and there will be a check box with yes or no.

Do you really think someone that timid is going to be able to hang with you?

Hey, just because I'm in a happy relationship doesn't mean anyone else gets to be......

:-)

Buzz said...

He fits the stereotype. Don't let BH sway you into a boring night of tech-talk followed up with an awkward goodbye. His socks are as argyle as his sweater, I can sense it from here.

Unless of course you want the experience for blog-fodder.


-buzz

MB said...

That was funny Buzz.....