Thursday, December 09, 2004

Bottom Rung

Two years ago this week my good friend Sarah died unexpectedly at age 36. (Don't worry, this isn't a depressing post - we would never allow that at Glib Gibberish!)

Sarah and I met in law school and became fast friends. She was one of those people you meet who isn't perfect, and doesn't pretend to be, but is good. When I say good, I mean the kind of good you strive to be: never said a bad thing about anyone, always smiling, compassionate to others, nonjudgmental, giving, never petty or envious, and, of course, with a great sense of humor and appreciation for the comedy that is life.

In law school, Sarah wasn't the best student. She didn't have the need to be at the top of the class, in fact, she was proud to hold the bottom slot in the class so long as she got her ticket to practice law. She was like me and saw the night law school as a means to an end. She was also the only other person in my law school class that I could relate to with regard to loving the law and feeling like being lawyers was exactly what we were both meant to be. So many folks go through life and never know what they want to be when they grow up. We both knew and it formed a great bond between us. That, and our weekly sessions at the local steakhouse bar for a cocktail or two before class...

The day of her death was, ironically, the day of the last final exam of law school. I mean the last one, after it we were home free, done, never to study again (except for the bar exam). I had spoken to her the night before about the exam. When I got the call about her death that morning I closed my office door and cried for hours. I ended up taking the exam that night and then telling my classmates the news after the test. Ignorance is bliss, and it would have served no purpose whatsoever to tell people who were not that close to her on the very day we had all been looking forward to for nearly four years. People reacted dramatically, quietly, hysterically, and apathetically. I am still dealing with it but decided to make something positive come from it...

In keeping with Sarah's spirit and sense of humor, I started a scholarship at the law school. Initially, I wanted all of our classmates to donate $10-20 per year to be given to the lowest ranked student entering their final year of law school - as would have benefited Sarah. After all, the top students always get scholarships, why not the bottom? Sometimes it is that person who may have worked the hardest to stay in the game, right?

And so the Sarah Moody Memorial Scholarship was born. Two years later, only one of her classmates other than myself has donated any money, yet the scholarship fund is alive and well thanks mostly to her family and friend. I personally try to take on one case I know bleeding heart Sarah would have taken each quarter and tell the client to donate whatever fees I've earned to the scholarship fund. Why? Because that's what Sarah would have done.

So, if any of the nine of you who haven't donated would like to make a donation to this unique and worthy cause, pull out your pocketbook, make a check for $25 or more out to The Sarah Moody Memorial Scholarship Fund, and sent it to:

Sarah Moody Memorial Scholarship
c/o Ventura County Community Foundation
1317 Del Norte Road, Suite 150
Camarillo, California 93010

It's legit and you get a receipt for taxes if your gift is more than $25. Here's the website for the Ventura County Community Foundation, in case you don't believe me.

No comments: