Monday, December 13, 2004

The Sistership of the Ring?

MM called me the other night to discuss logistics for the Kwanzaa/Boxing Day/Day Late and Dollar Short Holiday Regift Run scheduled for December 26. We are supposed to be meeting at an undisclosed location this weekend to select a run route.

He called from his cell phone. Note that I do not have call waiting, will not answer call waiting, and cannot stand when someone puts me on hold to see if someone more interesting is trying to buzz in. No sooner are MM and I discussing the run location than the inevitable "boop boop" of an incoming call sounds. If I did have call waiting I would want mine to say "Incoming!" instead of trying to "boop" politely. Maybe I should patent that idea. Yeah, that's it...

Back to my story. I sat on cellular hold for all of 15 seconds and hung up. I have no patience for being on hold on my own time. On the client's time or my boss' time it's fine - but not when I'm in my sweats lounging around with nothing better to do than sit on hold.

A few minutes later he called back. Again, we began speaking. Boop boop. Another incoming. Once again, I hung up.

Finally, he calls a third time. It was his sister, both times. He and his older sister share an apartment and are pretty close. He said she called to tell him what to get her for Christmas. I admit, I am envious of her ability to do this as I am basically buying my brother's house for Christmas and expect nothing from him...but back to MM and his sister.

Apparantly she initially wanted a purse and was to show him which purse she wanted. I always find it a bit offensive when someone tells me exactly what they want as a gift and then expects that I will get it for them. Isn't the point of a gift to show you thought of the person at least a little?

Anyhow, MM's sister had been thinking and determined that this was the year she should receive not a purse, but her "Sister Ring" from him. Sister Ring? I have three siblings and have never heard of such an item. I googled it and the closest thing I came up with was this description of a Sister Ring given between sisters or women, stating "the bond two women share is like no other." MM- is there somehting you are not telling me? This doesn't appear to be something a man gives to his sister. I think I would be creeped out if any of my brothers, after the age of about three, gave me any sort of ring as a token of love and bonding. It's just a bit strange, isn't it? I really think MM's sister just wants some new jewelry and is playing on his manly ignorance of all things female-related to get a new ring because her lousy boyfriend won't cough one up. Women do work in mysterious and twisted ways.

Perhaps MM should consider putting the Twisted Sister Ring on his cell phone so he can avoid such future requests...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I recall I told you that my sister is calling and that I would call you back. So you did not hang up on me. Let us get the story correct.

MM

Glib Gal said...

First, I am shocked that you read so kudos to you.
Second, I maintain that I hung up each time you rudely placed me on hold. I even recall an apology or two from you...
Third, how's the sister ring search coming anyhow?

Anonymous said...

I am still waiting for the sister to give me a general idea of what kind of ring she wants, but I am sure that I will keep you updated on the search for the Holy Sister Ring.

MM

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha ha ha oh did I forget hahahaha great story and great post