Thursday, February 03, 2005

Courtship & Amphetamines

I usually listen to NPR or Howard Stern during my morning commute. What that says about me, I am not sure, but it keeps me amusing and informed.

This morning, our local NPR affiliate, KCRW was in the throes of its winter fundraising drive. I already pledged and am, quite frankly, sick of having my free programming interrupted every 30 seconds with another great offer if you pledge in the next 30 minutes. This morning's big draw? Nine gift certificates to the 99 cent store...Glad I got the 10 CD pack.

Whenever I am dissatisfied with NPR's offering during the commute I switch to Howard Stern, where I either tune in just in time for a 30 minute commercial break or am lucky and catch the shock jock doing a bit in between commercial breaks. Today I caught him between breaks but he was doing a bit where a desparately single Jewish girl was earning $1,000 and the right not to be called annoying by Howard by allowing a turgid man to fart on her face 500 times in 10 minutes. As stimulating as this may seem to some of you, I opted to tune outat number 24.

I switched to my third alternate, the local country station, KHAY. They too were in the midst of mindless babble but something caught my ear...Speed dating in Ventura County tonight at the local brewery. I had heard this was coming to town and considered signing up but never followed through. And now that I know the location of the event, I figure I can just show up and watch the carnage.

So I called a couple of friends and we are meeting at the brewery this evening to watch the speed dating in progress and then snatch any eligible singles. The whole concept of speed dating intrigues me, just not enough to spend $35 to gamble on it. Besides, given the number of dated I've been on in this county in the past 6 1/2 years, it's likely I would be matched up with someone already adjudicated to be unsuitable for me. Anyhow, that experience should provide some new fodder for the blog by tomorrow...

No comments: