Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Would you stop for a girl with a big strap-on?

I don't know what is more surprising about today: the fact the CalTrans was doing work on my road, or the fact that I was doing work in my yard.

Wednesday is normally my day off and today I was at home attempting to regain control of the yard. It's a big yard. Over the past six or seven years I have gone through three lawn mowers and four or five weed whackers. This year I decided to get an industrial strength 4-cycle, needs-a-harness-to-handle-it, brushcutter/weed whacker super deluxe. I should have known better. It only weighs about 35 lbs. and it has a shoulder strap and all that, but it is almost too much for me to handle (keep in mind that I would never admit to anything being too much for me to handle).

So today I strapped the monstrosity on and began whacking away. That sounds more fun than it really is, but keep your mind in that place if it is happier there. I must have been quite a site because someone from CalTrans (highway department) actually stopped to make sure I was okay. I can't imagine what I looked like - all 5'5" of me wielding a 6 foot pole with a motor on one end and a brushcutter on the other. And the whole time those useless goats of mine were just laughing at me. You see, I have the only two goats on the planet that won't eat grass. Actually, it turns out they like cut grass - kind of like people who like sandwiches without the crust. Ridiculous.

All that whacking got me thinking about hiring a gardener. Last year I broke down and hired a pool man because his son works out at my gym and they gave me a heck of a deal. And I absolutely hate cleaning the pool in the off-season. It's like having a convertible in Seattle, you don't want to deal with it unless the weather is perfect and you can play with it. I can justify the pool man, but a gardener? It seems so bourgeois to me. California is full of people who pay other people to do everything for them. I love how people in tract housing communities pay gardeners $200 a month to mow and weed a 10 foot swath of plugged lawn that turns your feet green when you walk on it barefoot. I think those folks just like saying, "My gardener was at the house last week and left the hose off the reel. That darned Juan, I had to go out there and reel it up myself. I don't know what I'm paying him for." Funny, neither do I.

Next time I'll try have some cold beer ready for the CalTrans guys. They are always on break anyhow.

No comments: