Thursday, March 03, 2005

The end of an era?

Just off the phone with L, a friend who has been in Florida visiting relatives for the past week or so. Naturally, she called to complain about her trip.

L is one of those friends that makes you sometimes wonder why you are friends with the person. She is in her early 40's, hasn't been on a date in more than 10 years, constantly blames her mother for all her woes, takes all things personal or as an affront to Jewish people, and has recently proclaimed that she can't go out to happy hour with me anymore because all the guys talk to me and it makes her feel bad about herself. That's right, just before she left on her trip she blamed me for her low self-image because her neighbor, that she obsesses over, asked her how I was doing. She took that to me he was interested in me and even went so far as to accuse me of planning to steal him away. You can read my impressions of M in the previous posts, Single Night Out and Cheese Pie (July 2004) and Canned Cherries (Dec. 2004). Needless to say, I am not impressed with or the least bit interested in M. Besides, I would never even indicate that I liked a man if I thought L had even the slightest interest in him because she never likes anyone and really needs some male interaction (10+ years, folks!).

So L calls me today and immediately begins whining and complaining about her trip, her life, her mother, and now her aunt. Then it hits me - L doesn't want to be happy. She doesn't know how to be happy and resents other people that are happy. Really, L has no reason to be unhappy - she owns her home, is self-employed, and has wonderful me for a friend, among others, of course. I think she just likes being unhappy and discontent. So she's a downer with no excuse for being a downer.

L droned on and on about her made-up problems. They are made up because, let's face it, if you never do anything or take risks, you probably won't encounter too many troubles in life, right?

On my drive home I realized that listening to L had put me in a bad mood. That she sucks the life out of me and that she really doesn't give much back as a friend. And with her recent declaration that I make her feel bad about herself by just being me, I decided that I am done with L as a friend. So there you have it, I'm done with L. Now I just have to break up with her.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

best day of someones life is when a so called friend who talks ill of everyone is gone

Glib Gal said...

Not sure if you're referring to me or L as the so-called friend, but I do know that my mood has improved and everyone I've told about it asks why I stuck around so long. Sometimes you have to write people off who bring nothing but negativity to both their and your life. I really hope she can pull herself together and realize her life is not bad and she is the one causing her own misery.

Anonymous said...

Truth be told I wrote you off before leaving for Florida....You kept calling me I was only returning phone calls to a person who has no regard for a so called friends feelings. After reading everything you wrote about the good people in my life, I was appalled. The need to place everyone below you shows a character that I am proud to say I do not have. My life is so full of happiness and good friends to throw one away that lacks all the things that I value is a fabulous feeling. Glad to say the end of an era came from me. Remeber the calls came from K not L. Good luck in your life I know what is going on in it and sometimes Karma is very very good to me.LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Anonymous said...

Hello Smut Central,
After reading "Cheese pie and canned cherries" and seeing for myself the way you bashed me (who you don't know from Adam), your so-called friend of 5 years "L" and "Mi" I am torn between simply despising you as the two-faced, backstabbing creature you are,or feeling sorry for you. Hhhmm, nope, no pity for anyone that vicious.The only explanation for a woman to treat other women like this, is incredibly low self-esteem.I refuse to defend myself against such incredibly false and ignorant comments, and can only marvel at the fact that one with a brain the size of yours made it through law school. On second thought, maybe your brain had nothing to do with it?? Anyone who has been in your presence for 5 minutes knows what you're favorite hobby is! If you feel the overwhelming desire to tear down me or "L" anytime in the future to make you feel better about yourself, why hide online?? Gimme a call! Oh yes, and please say hello to the married doctor, "Mr. Buddha man," as you lovingly refer to him. Sure, you say his belly tends to get in the way during the hot n'lovely relations, but hey...the sex is good, and in Wettestlay's world, that's all that really matters, right? Have a nice life...who knows, maybe someday you'll be worthy of female friends, but I wouldn't bet my "bottom of the line" Mustang GT Convertible on it.
"R"

Glib Gal said...

R - If you knew what L has said about you, you would not be defending her. Also, I have never claimed to be your friend and have not attended outings specifically to avoid your insecure company. I have also openly told you what I thought of your relationship. So no backstabbing here. As for L, she has said she dislikes everything about you, has often said she is through with you, doesn't like hanging out with you (especially going to the movies and having to sit in the back row because of your insecurities or going to bland restaurants to accommodate you limited tastes), and constantly speaks poorly of you. But I am glad you guys have eachother and have now bonded through hatred of me, after all, misery does love company. Please keep reading and commenting on the blog, it increases readership and the people that know me are getting a kick out of reading your poorly written, inaccurate comments.

Glib Gal said...

For the record, I have never referred to anyone as "Mr. Buddha man" - that is what L, apparantly when speaking with you behind my back, has called JP. And yes, I do enjoy sex, which was not a crime last time I checked.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, drama. Please girls, keep fighting. It brightens my day. I usually log on only to read the latest blog post but I see the real fireworks occur in the posts to the posts. And yes, to answer all three of your questions, I do have a small penis and nothing to do all day.

-XY Chromosome

Glib Gal said...

XY you are the best. Sorry to hear about your penis. As for having nothing to do all day - try blogging - as you can see, it attracts all sorts of intellectuals...

Anonymous said...

Do you really think you're safe because you only use initials?? For someone who considers themselves to be an itellectual, it's incredibly stupid to use verifiable,identifying info while slandering someone. Keep it up and see what happens...

Glib Gal said...

Uh...It would be libel and truth is a defense. Slander would be what you and your cohort do prior to posting your own libelous comments here.