Thursday, June 02, 2005

Day 2

Day two was uneventful and what I fear my life will soon become: home early, a light jog, leftovers, and summer network reality programming interspersed with a sympathy phone call or two.

The network program was 'Beauty and the Geek', produced by Ashton Kutcher. The premise, from what I could gather, was to find a gaggle of the most dimwitted yet sort of attractive female media whores in Los Angeles and pair them up with mild-mannered nerdy men who lack social skills and actually think they can get girls like that (my dating pool). The women and men are paired up and must complete challenges as a team - women being quizzed on spelling, geography, history and the like, men being tasked with dancing in public or identifying the Simpson sisters. A sample exchange:

Host: "Who was president during the Civil War?"
Ditzy girl: "Um...Hoover?"
Host: "No, Abraham Lincoln."
Ditzy girl: "Oh yeah, right, D-day...I knew that one."

In the end one couple is sent home for being the most stupid or socially inept. Of course, one of the bimbos has already latched on to the best looking of the geeks - even though it's not her geek. This is why I love reality television - just when you think your life is messed up you get to see the dysfunction that is really out there and allowing cameras in.

I still think Kutcher is being Punked by the WB. At least I have better plans for tonight...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I usually stay clear of the comments section but you reminded me of a knockout of a gal in my Spanish class I was friendly with in High School. She entered the Ms. (Your Hometown Name Here) Beauty Pageant run by the lecherous geezers at the local Kiwanis Club. When they asked her, on stage in front of an audience, what her favorite current movie was, she replied, "Platoon. But you know, I didn't see Hitler once in that movie at all."